I bet you have head this over the years that breakfast is a critical meal of the day, because it influences practically every dimension of our being during the course of the day, including how we perform physically and mentally. Eating breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism, helping you burn more calories throughout the day. With mornings being hectic as it is, you guys know how much I love easy recipes!
All that to say, I know how frustrating it can be when you are trying to find recipes that are simple, healthy AND delicious. If you are looking for a low effort breakfast that is extremely healthy and can even help you lose weight, you have found your solution with overnight oats. This is type of breakfast that basically cooks itself while you sleep!
This is my ideal breakfast on the days that I work because, I am usually rushing in the morning and this is a great grab and go breakfast. I love to make my overnight oats in is a mason jar because it has measurement lines on the side. That way I can measure, mix, chill, carry and eat my breakfast all using the same container. This recipe is so easy, it basically involves filling an empty jar with ingredients and storing in the fridge! All of the ingredients just kind of meld together in a delicious, creamy breakfast parfait. Just a fast, simple, healthy breakfast! I make it in individual serving, sized jars. But if you are not going to take it to go, or if you are feeding a crowd, you can make a big batch in larger container to feed the whole family.
Reasons why I love overnight oatmeal-
- Requires less than 5 minutes of prep time
- No cooking required
- Almost completely hands off
- Fun way to have on the go breakfast
- Easy to make, perfect for meal prep
- Extremely versatile, one can customize their jar with variety of toppings
- Full of fiber, protein and essential vitamins
- Helps you curb appetite
1 mason jar with lid
½ cup rolled oats
1 cup milk of choice (regular, soy, coconut, almond, cashew)
2 tbsp nuts of choice (cashew, almonds, peanuts, flax, raisins, pistachio)
1 tsp spice of choice (vanilla, cocoa, ginger, cinnamon, hazelnut)
2 tbsp honey or stevia
1 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp of choice of fruit (berries, apple, banana, peach, pear)
1 tbsp of jam or nut butter or nutella (optional)
The basic concept of the recipe – Take your mason jar and fill it with ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats. Then fill up the mason jar with 1 cup of milk of choice (regular milk, soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk). Then add your choice of toppings, nuts and fruit. Add choice of sweetener and chia seeds. Close the lid and shake all the ingredients and store in the fridge. When you wake up in the morning, your breakfast is ready!
Today my jar has oats, almond milk, vanilla, stevia, strawberries. I usually add chia seeds to this but I ran out, so I made it without it but It’s quite yummy and filling. I hope you like this recipe as much as I do and hopefully it will make your morning routine little easier!
Overnight oatmeal flavors
- Nutella – add oats, choice of milk, chia seeds, vanilla, Nutella, vanilla, chopped hazelnuts.
- Peanut butter and jelly – add oats, choice of milk, chia seeds, peanut butter or almond butter, strawberry jam, crushed peanuts and fresh chopped strawberries.
- Apple pie – add oats, choice of milk, chia seeds, chopped apples, pecans, maple syrup, cinnamon.
- Almond joy – add oats, choice of milk, chia seeds, shredded coconuts, crushed almonds, chocolate chips and maple syrup.